terça-feira, 25 de setembro de 2012

Nursing Life in the UK

I have been Nursing in the UK for a year and two months now.

Nursing is Universal and no matter where you are, YOU are still the carer for your patient, the one that gives voice to your patient, the one that supports your patient through the darkest hours.

There is nothing more pleasent for me than coming back from work and having that amazing feeling " I have done something great". Sometimes simple things turns every struggle into something beautiful, like hearing a patient saying "Thank you for looking after me!" or "Thank for what you have done for my father/mother"! those litle words, even as simple as they are, make such a diference and shows how important your role is in the recovering of the patient!

Many times I have been questioned by patients & relatives "Why didn't you go for medicine?" My answer is still the same: "Because otherwise I would not spend this time looking after you, and there is nothing more rewarding than making you feel better". Usually their following question is: "But you have to deal with so many things and do so many things and we are not always nice" my typical answer is "That's what makes it interesting, that's what makes me coming to work!".

Yes, Being a nurse is a very tiring job, crazy shift rotations, Night Shifts, Twilights, 13 hours and a half day shits, but nevertheless so rewarding!

Working in a Emergency Assessment Unit has allowed me to develop a lot of different skills such as: time management, People management, Bed Management, but most of all it allowed me to develop as an acute Nurse, making me more sharp and wanting to research more and more about diferent conditions! I have seen so many different diagnosis here that I would need a lot more than a simple blog to list them all!

Now that I am starting on the Mentorship Course it will give me the opportunity of taking also a different resposability, helping shapping the future nurses of this Country! On the first day of my course it showed me how your role as a mentor is important and how it will impact on young future nurses, and the incredible ammount of responsability it will bring! More responsability equals more work, more work can only lead to an improvement of my current skills!

Soon I would love to do the Acute Nursing Training and the Advanced Life Support, as I believe those are core courses for a Critical and Emergency Care Nurse.

Do I ever feel, "Should i have chosen another carreer?" I can not lie to you, Yes sometimes I wonder that, but then comes that feeling, "You are working in prol of your patients, so what could be better than that?"

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário